Sunday, September 14, 2008

My name is Stephanie Butts and when you meet me I will assure you it is okay to call me "Steph." Most people do anyway and I don't want to take the time to assure you it didn't hurt my feelings when you finally shorten my nine letter name to something more durable. After four years in college I am finally opening my first blog. I have yet to detirmine the educational value, or any value that is, for a blog. But, I suppose it will be good to get in the habit of editorializing my thoughts since I will probably have to do it professionally anyway.

One of my favorite things to do is type. If I am having difficulty remembering how to spell a word I will "type" it into the air to remember. If I have had a bad day and need to relieve stress I will come home, turn on loud music and pound my keys until I am stress free. Typing allows my hands to keep up with my brain. Because, as all writers, I enjoy the feel of a pen in my hand but I tend to get farther on projects and writing hobbies when the words are allowed to flow more quickly. Yes, typing is wonderful.

As you have probably figured out by now, I take pleasure in the simple things in life. Typing, painting, sitting: few people can appreciate a good sit these days. Allowing the atmosphere around you stroke your sole and let you rest.

I have always been this way, allowing the world to turn without me and enjoying my corner of the world without much disturbance. However, I do love drama, but not in my own life, which is why I believe I chose journalism subconciously long before I was sure what I wanted to do with my life. I so enjoy watching exciting things happen, writing and being involved in them and then going home to my quiet couch.

What people don't understand about me is that I truly am an extremely mundane individual. It is only when I go out that I try to be exciting. I figure, I have all the time in the world to be silent when I'm at home along, why not try and improve my environment? I laugh as I write this because improvement, like beauty, is completely in the eye of the beholder.

1 comment:

jacqueline said...

OK, Steph, I got the right address for you. I'm making my daughter take "typing" because I think it's such a great skill for life. Glad you get that, too.